DAY ELEVEN
July 5th
I was up till four in the morning, blogging. Around 6am I felt a touch and my name, “Chelsea…Chelsea!” It was Drew, not my dad, this time, “Look at the sunrise, it’s beautiful. I wasn’t sure if you’d want to take a picture or not.” I did my best to rouse myself from the sleep that weighed my eye lids down. I tried to prop myself up. Sure enough, pink literally FILLED the sky over the Niagara Falls. I contemplated taking a picture, but I wasn’t sure where my charger was and I used the excuse that I wanted to conserve the battery use for the rest of the day, then thanked Drew and collapsed in bed. When I woke up later I cursed my laziness and judgment that had definitely been twisted under the sleepy clouds that hovered in my mind. I put the pieces together, like from a dream almost: Drew had been sleeping by the window overlooking the Niagra Falls and when the sun started to rise, so did Drew as it warmed his face. If only I had been functioning on more than two hours of sleep…
Before we left I went around the hotel room and admired its
grandeur. We all lingered by the window before we left. Still, it wasn’t enough,
no matter how long we stood there and watched the falls, our eyes begged for
more. Now, looking back on it- and it’s been a while, there’s one thing I
really remember about this day. This blog entry is where I start to decide if it’s
better to reveal how while the family unit was made to be perfect- but people
are not perfect, OR to make it sound like our trip was ‘Disneyland picture-perfect’.
Thinking about it, personally, there’s only one part of this memory
that I want to keep and I’ll let you read. It started with contention and
misunderstandings and bratty children (all of us, I’m including myself). This
is not a particularly important part that I want to remember… And one of my
younger siblings ended up in the bathroom crying. He’s at that age, middle
school age, that everyone cringes to think about. I was trying really hard to
make peace, but you can’t make people be peaceful, when to use forceful tactics…
would be very…unpeaceful. Anyways, I remember listening and hearing him cry and
my thoughts went back to memories in middle school when I’d come home crying to
my mother. It didn’t matter why I was crying; I had my mother to hold me and
comfort me and whisper softly that everything was going to be okay. From
bullies to consequences from procrastination- it was unconditional love.
I battled within myself and made a decision, not really sure what
I was doing. At first after the volcano’s eruption, there was an awkward
silence with the rest of us, both parents absent. Now at the sound of my brother
I moved from the bed to the bathroom, opened the door and closed it behind me, despite
my brother’s refusal of me. I leaned against the door so he couldn’t escape. As
quickly, he went to a corner near the shower and didn’t look at me. So badly I
wanted to reach out, but since I knew I probably seemed like an enemy at the
moment, I started to talk instead. I don’t remember what all I said, but I
tried to show him that I knew what he was going through, and that it was hard
for us to remember what it was like to be 15. Everything else is a blur, I
almost wish I remember what I said. From our back and forth bantering came understanding,
and through sniffles he approached me, thanked me, and hugged me. I pulled him
in, crying with him. This tender moment, this is what I wanted to remember. It
reminded me of something safe tucked in the middle of a wild storm, and in that
moment we both felt safe.
Leaving Canada was sad for me, I wasn’t all that excited to set up
the rest of our pathetic rental trailer, or even the idea of having to make new
friends for the next two weeks. That horizon was old and it was as scary as it
was the first time I approached it. When we got back to Zion’s Camp at the Hill
Cumorah the family settled in. We finished unpacking and then packing our things
into the petite sad looking trailer (I could name many descriptions, but it
would be enough… at least it had air conditioning.) We had some free time, and
I don’t recall much of what happened in the day- except for feeling a tad
jealous that Spencer, Kenzie, and Drew were off making friends so quickly. I
admired them greatly for it as well. For in the end as darkness came, Drew
brought the Roberts over- this is when we met Bethany (Kenzie’s pageant twin) and
Micah and Sister and Brother Roberts, and the Wright family as well. I wonder
what I would have done or said differently if I’d known that that night was
only the beginning.
DAY TWELVE
JULY 6th
JULY 6th
First day of Pageant!
Rocking his arms and fists like he was running in place, I
got the gentle wake up from my father to go running. It had been my idea to go
running, but the night before…but something about an upset stomach after eating
and running or something, discouraged my father to do it at night. I tried not
to feel sad about getting up early, or at least, earlier than I needed to wake
up. It wasn’t that late in the day, but already the heat clung to us like a gum
on the bottom of a shoe.
“Look at all the trees, Joseph Smith’s family had to clear trees
out like this for their farm.” I looked over at the condensed forestry that
hugged the edge of the road. Indeed, with the size of the farms that also
crowded the roadside, I couldn’t imagine clearing trees with so little
technology that they had back then. To think that so much history walked the
lands of Palmyra and the surrounding land. Don’t
forget to breathe, but the rest of running came very naturally to me,
besides the urge to choke on the humidity. Don’t
forget to breathe. It wasn’t a thought that repeated in my mind, but a
command that spoke to my lungs as my eyes were distracted gathering in the
rolling hills. Yes, maybe they were not as dramatically curvy as in parts of Missouri,
but in Palmyra the land swoops and climbs and plateaus, and so father and I
chugged up and down and through the land on the side of the road.
I felt like the historical land appeared marred and
disfigured with the modern pavement and cars vrooming through it. Have you ever
driven next to a semi-truck? They’re even scarier when you’re not in a car; the
only nice thing is the after-breeze; unnatural and exhilarating. As unnatural as
it was, it felt good- because, boy, it was hot! And I don’t usually ‘drip’
after running, but after that run both father and I were soaked was sticky
sweat and I, at least, dripped buckets I’m pretty sure. Yuck.
Friends make the world go round. The kids in the Zion’s
campground are here in abundance! Plenty to go around, but I don’t think
they’re selling. Every time I turned around my youngest brother Spencer (12yrs)
was gone, but I never wondered where he was, because I could hear children
laughing, screaming, and running- and I knew he was out there with them as he
later told me playing “four square and roller skates…” The rest of us came and
went, Kenzie had found a home at the Done’s picnic table, sitting and talking
with the daughters who were to be married soon and whoever else wandered over
to their table. Josh did a sort of balance between reading a book and wandering
around to different groups of friends. Drew was often off flirting with girls. Micah
and I started to wander around together, having met the night before, and
followed the younger teens around until we settled at the Cook’s picnic table,
where then we met the second friend in Zion’s camp: Michael! We played Phase 10
and I think I was getting creamed, only because I was all antsy and excited-
Drew’s mission papers were to come in soon! I remember when Drew got the text
from my dad as we sat around the table and how quickly Drew shot off to retrieve
them, then came back and gathered everyone that we’d been hanging out with to
come with us. It was a really cool thing for our family to climb up to the
cumorah monument with a group of kids that we hardly knew, but they shared in
our excitement. I don’t think anyone’s excitement could match Drew’s though,
and I thought it fitting that Drew had his own voice in this blog.
Mission Call – Drew Speaking:
I opened the call and started to read aloud. “Dear Elder
Duncan…” until it came to the area in which I would serve. I was dumbfounded,
speechless, and full of tears. I could not say it aloud. After many coaxing
from my dearest family and friends, I read aloud, “… the Russia, Moscow
mission” there were woops and hollers. I cannot explain the closeness I felt to
my family and the friends that were with me that day. It still boggles my mind
that I became so close with those people.
For example, the Cook family. They truly are my adopted
family: Michael, Cathy, Steven, Laura, Nathan, Sarah and of course Brother and
Sister Cook. I cannot imagine Pageant being the same without them. The jokes,
the laughter, the serious times, the not-so-serious times, the spiritual times,
and the crying times. I love them so much. I simply love them so much.
Steven and I were instant friends. I remember when we got
cast. I was a frontline Nephite battleman, and he was a frontline Lamanite
battleman. When we were lined up to be assigned battle partners, Steven and I
walked next to each other and said pointing to each other: “ We are perfect
partners, no?” The battle instructor laughed and said “you sure are! Perfect
height ratio and everything!” I was glad
to be partnered with the guy.
Our practices are probably one of the most memorable parts. Just how easily we worked together with our ninja rolls and sword chops. Saying a “HIYA!!!!!!!” every four seconds and in the end we just laughed forever at how funny we probably looked and sounded. But in the end I gotta say, we pulled through and if I do say so myself, we had the best choreography of all time! Our instant connection grew to a lasting friendship. One that I won’t easily forget!
-
Drew James Duncan
Everyone socialized normally, but I felt like everyone’s
eyes gleaned with anticipation of what they would be cast for. Conversations
circled around what they would be trying out for and later conversations would
be what they actually got. Dance, dance, dance, my mind repeated in a longing
rhythm. I could see it behind my sister’s smile; she was thinking the same
thing. I had heard about the dancing parts and fighting parts last night. Alas,
girls were not allowed to be in fighting scenes. However, I decided (before
knowing what they did and finding out it was for the elitists) that I wanted
very badly to be a Lamanite dancer! It sounded evil and exciting, because then
of course I would lose, being the bad guy…. And losing sounded fun? Sometimes acting
the bad guy when playing make-believe is fun; I mean who hasn’t wanted to play
Captain Hook with the evil pirate accent or Jafar with the lamp?!
We ran out onto the field, dancing barefoot on the right
part of the field. The person teaching us to dance had started lining us up
when my mother came running in. With bright cheery eyes and an excited (almost
hyper) smile, my mother said something about it being silly, but that she felt
the prompting to just try and have fun. Deep down she wanted it. I wanted it.
Kenzie wanted it. Every one of those girls was trying to learn the steps as
quickly as they were being taught. Which was fast, I was lost most of the time,
but Kenzie caught on, practicing the few steps on her own a couple times like a
pro, somehow remembering it all. I watched her with admiration and even
jealousy. It’s hard to watch a younger sibling walk in your footsteps that you
cannot return to. The dance team, for example, I miss it. The way Kenzie’s arms
reached and body twisted – all so effortlessly, I remember when I was on the
dance team and could move so easily. There was a pair of eyes I had not thought
of, ones that probably longed more than mine were. When we were going over a
jumping part of the dance she decided not to stress her ankles. My mother can
still move and swerve and roll her body in a way that professes my mother’s
ability to dance when she was younger. Yet her ankle held her back, but to be
with us for that moment, I imagine she felt good to be included.
Later my mother would describe the picking process a lot
like dodgeball. Everyone else getting picked around you until you’re one of the
only ones left. And later she found peace, much like I did. Truth is, I felt
disappointment. There I was on the grassy dance floor dancing my heart out,
crying out mentally for them to see and choose me… One by twos they got picked
around me, my sister got picked before me. She got to be a ceremonial dancer
and a new world woman.
So yes, I admit my silent disappointment. And no matter what
people said, “oh, a harvest dancer? That’s an awesome part!”- I felt a sadness,
even had a little pity party. Maybe I cried, but even louder I cried inside my
heart to the Lord, help me be happy, help
me choose to be happy. Now I look back and though it may be silly- it was
still painful. At this part of the pageant I didn’t have a lot looking up for
me, not in my narrow view. Back in Oregon my friends were having fun and making
memories without me, my best friend was leaving on a mission soon, and in
Rexburg I had a friend I was getting more and more distant with- and the lack
of internet wasn’t helping…so with all this loss, I felt entitled for a little
favor from God, a “better” dancing part in the pageant that I thought I needed
in order to make me happy. Now, I’m only writing about day eleven, but I don’t
want to leave on a sad note. So you guys get a small insight on my future that I
wish I’d had that night. And that is this: that there is a happy ‘ending’. In
my eyes I could only see I falling sun on the horizon, but in reality the sun
was rising, and whether it was rising or falling- there was still light and
color there to be embraced.
In reality, where the sun sets in our perception, it’s
always raising somewhere. “Don’t merely get by because you have to- live,
because you can.” As my well-missed and loved friend Risa Whitaker would say.
You’d think I would have had that lesson down by now. Apparently it takes some
pounding into this heart of mine before it takes a sturdy shape.







3 thoughts:
Awwweesssommme! I'm so glad you are still writing. You are a wonderful writer and it is fun to listen to all of your adventures. I love that you had Drew write a part too! We want to go to pageant with you next year!
What an amazing blessing your blog is for our family! I love to read everything you write!
Wow! This was absolutely beautiful! So well written too...
Post a Comment